Fall 2022 Orientation Times
Students who would like access to the Experimental Sound Studio (B304) or the Modular Synth Studio (B305B) should attend one studio orientation session. An overview of the equipment will be provided along with information about signup procedures and policies.
Tuesday, 9/20 4:00pm
Thursday, 9/22 4:00pm
The CalArts School of Music studios are open 24 hours, 7 days a week during the semester. The studios are closed over the winter holiday break and the Monday after graduation in May through the summer. Once you are approved for access, studio time may be reserved in person by using the posted schedule on each studio door. Any keycard issues should be addressed to the Music Office.
• Please don't remove any equipment from the studios without permission from the studio director. This includes microphones, cables, keyboards, etc. Do not move gear from one studio to another.
• Please don't unplug any of the studio connections.
• Please don't store your own gear or project materials in any of the studios. Any extraneous gear found in the studios including amps, instruments, electronics, etc will be placed in the hallway.
• If something breaks, please tell a faculty member or a studio TA immediately. We would rather hear it from you than find out on our own.
• All your files on studio computers are your responsibility. You are responsible for backing up your own work. Purchasing a mobile drive for your projects is suggested.
• Only authorized users may operate the studio equipment.
• Please make sure the studio is secure when you leave. Do not leave unauthorized people in the studios under any circumstances. You are responsible for any actions that might go down during and or after your studio time.
Access - What's the Process?
1) Fill out the online form below to request access to each of studios. Once you have done so it is a good idea to meet with a studio TA and get a brief orientation. TA hours are posted on this site and also on the studio door.
2) A work order will be sent from the Music Office to Facilities Management. Facilities Management will encode your requests to your CalArts ID. It may take Facilities Management up to a week to encode your CalArts ID so please be patient. You will not receive an email or notice from Facilities Management when your ID code is ready so you will have check-in with them in person to receive your code.
3) A few days after submitting your access form go to the Facilities Management office. Ask for your "four digit access code" assigned to your CalArts ID. They will give you a four digit access code. Your four digit ID code will work for all card readers throughout the institute that you have been granted access.
4) Go to each of the studios you requested access for and test your ID code in the card reader located outside the studio door. Tap or swipe your CalArts ID card and enter your four digit ID code. The door should open.
5) If the door does not open make sure you have your four digit ID code correct. If the door still does not open go to the Music Office and ask if your request has been noted.
The deadline for requesting access for the Fall 2022 semester is Friday, September 30th at 4pm.
To request access to a studio, fill out the form below to get started. Please make sure you attend a studio orientation with the TA for each studio you request access.